- Area Planning
- Zoning Applications
- Downtown Zoning
- Comprehensive Plan
- Commissions & Committees
- Community Dev. Block Grant
- Capital Improvement
- Historic Preservation
- Neighborhood Planning
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2
- Plan Commission
- Reports & Plans
The primary responsibility of the Zoning Office staff is to administer and enforce the Zoning Ordinance (Title 6 of the Evanston City Code).
This includes reviewing all proposals and applications for compliance, processing applications for zoning relief (for example, variances), providing zoning information about properties and explaining how zoning regulations apply to proposed developments. The Zoning Office reviews all building permit applications and business licenses for compliance. Staff is available by appointment to review development concepts and to discuss possible uses at a specific site.
How to find the ZONING DISTRICT for a property:
Click here to use About My Place. Enter the address of the property, and press Get Info. A page of information about the property will be displayed. The Zoning Code will be shown near the center of the page.
The Zoning Office provides services the following services. Applications are available online or in our office. To download applications, click on links below. More detailed information may be found on our new Zoning Applications page.
- Zoning Analysis Application
- Minor Variations
- Major Variations
- Family Necessity Variation
- Fence Variations
- Planned Developments
- Certificates of Zoning Compliance
- Special Use Permits
- Statement of Restaurant Use
- Garage & Yard Sale Permits
- Home Occupation Permits
- Use Interpretations
- Text Amendments (ordinance changes)
- Map Amendments (rezoning)
- Site Plan & Appearance Review Committee (SPAARC) Scheduling
- Subdivision Approvals
To reach a member of the Zoning Staff directly, see list below.
How to find the ZONING REGULATIONS for a Zoning District:
Click here to use the City Code. The Zoning Ordinance is Title 6.
Zoning District Summary Sheets
General Information on each zoning districts can be found below:
|R1-R3 Residential Districts (Coming Soon)|
|R4-R6 Residential Districts (Coming Soon)|
|B1-B3 Business Districts|
|C1-C2 Commercial Districts|
|D1-D4 Downtown Districts|
|I1-I3 Industrial Districts|
Sign up to receive email updates from Zoning
2100 Ridge Ave. Evanston, IL 60201, Rm 3106
Daylight Saving Time Begins
Board of Local Improvements
Admin/Public Works Comm.
- 2013 City Annual Report Released
- Evanston Earns 4-STAR Certification as National Sustainable Community, City One of Only Two Recognized for Excellence Nationwide
- City of Evanston Introduces New Twitter Account, @CityofEvanston2
- Turn Ice into Art at Lee Street Beach March 8
- Women Out Walking (WOW) Program Returns March 22