- Register Online
- Lakefront & Beaches
- Park Permits & Picnics
- Chandler-Newberger Center
- Ecology Center
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Center
- Levy Senior Center
- Noyes Cultural Arts Center
- Robert Crown Center
- Summer Camps
- Support Your Parks
Ice Skating & Sledding
Outdoor Ice Skating
Current Rink Status:
PLEASE check the thickness and hardness of the ice before you decide to skate. Skating on thin ice at the Ackerman and Baker rinks may result in skates breaking through the ice and cutting the liner. If the liners are cut, water escapes, which makes it harder for crews to make ice.
For a recorded message regarding outdoor ice rink conditions, please call 847/859-7822, ext. 8.
- Ackerman Park, Central St. at McDaniel;
- Arrington Lagoon at Dawes Park, Sheridan Rd. at Church St.;
- Baker Park, Forest Ave. at Keeney St.
Please be aware that there are no attendants on duty to supervise rinks and shelter houses will not be open.
When will ice be ready for skating? It takes several days and nights of applying water during cold temperatures to have ice thick enough to skate upon, and a warm spell disrupts the ice-making process. Each season the earliest we anticipate having skateable ice is mid-December; traditionally, the latest dates skating takes place is in mid-February.
Rink structures with a liner will be used at Ackerman and Baker parks to improve ice conditions. Signs will be posted to alert residents when ice is thick enough to skate upon.
Sledding in James Park
Sledding and tobogganing are considered "hazardous recreational activities." Sledding and tobogganing on the James Park large center hill is prohibited by Ordinance (Evanston City Code 7-10-4). Evanston police and Evanston park rangers are instructed to issue violation tickets to those individuals trespassing on the center large hill.
Sledding on the small and intermediate hill is at the user's own risk. No tobogganing, skiing, or snowboarding is permitted. Users assume full responsibility for determining if conditions are safe for sledding. Adults are responsible for supervising children in their care.
Parks, Recreation & Community Services
Lighthouse Landing Complex
Site Plan Appearance and Review Committee
M/W/EBE Advisory Committee
Zoning Committee of the Plan Commission - CANCELED
- Rep. Gabel & Senator Biss Town Hall Meeting June 26
- City-sponsored Summer Photo Contest Set for July 4 & August 10
- Adult Mosquito Control Operations in Northwest Evanston Set for June 19
- Laboratory Confirmed Mumps Case in Chicago Area University Student
- Recycling Fair & Equipment Display July 13