- Register Online
- Lakefront & Beaches
- Park Permits & Picnics
- Chandler-Newberger Center
- Ecology Center
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Center
- Levy Senior Center
- Noyes Cultural Arts Center
- Robert Crown Center
- Summer Camps
- Support Your Parks
The City of Evanston offers residents 220 plots for rent from March through mid-November. Returning gardeners have first priority to renew their contracts, so each year there is a limited number of plots available. A lottery is now used to allocate the available plots.
The community garden program is strictly available to Evanston residents. To participate in this program, you must live in ZIP code 60201 or 60202 and provide proof of residency at the time of registration for the lottery. The 2013 Community Garden lottery took place in March.
The garden sites are:
- James Park Gardens, south of Oakton between McCormick Blvd. and Dodge Ave. This is a locked site. In addition to full and half plots, this site has 3 raised beds.
- Twiggs Canal Gardens, by the intersection of Bridge and Simpson, on the south side of North Shore Channel in Twiggs Park. This site has full and half plots and eight raised beds.
- McCormick Gardens, at McCormick Blvd. and Bridge St., across the street from the Ecology Center. In addition to full and half plots, this site has 1 wheelchair-accessible raised bed.
- Lighthouse Gardens, off of Sheridan Road, north of the Grosse Point Lighthouse and adjacent to Noah's Playground for Everyone in Lawson Park. This is the smallest site with 9½ plots.
Depending on the overall schedule, weather and availability, the City provides wood chips and a water source at each site as part of the community gardening program. Gardeners must sign a waiver and a gardening agreement, which includes providing 1½-3 hours of community garden service each season, in addition to the annual plot fee.
Half Plot (approx. 200 square feet): $42.50 for all sites, plus community garden service
Raised bed (McCormick, Twiggs): $38.00, plus community garden service
Raised bed (James Park): $25.00, plus community garden service
The raised beds are approximately 20 inches off the ground for ease of use. Fee assistance is available to qualified Evanston residents.
For more information, gardeners can contact Mary Jaminski at email@example.com or call 847.448.8256.
Parks, Recreation & Community Services
- Holiday Light Recycling Program Under Way
- City of Evanston Honored for Support of Biking, Walking and Transit
- New Online Tool for Evanston Bicycle Plan Feedback
- Evanston Receives Governor's Award for Sustainability
- Workshop and Bike Tour are Next Steps in Evanston Bike Plan Update