Building & Inspection Services
Pay for Permits ONLINE NOW (Obtain total cost of permit by Building & Inspection Services Permit Desk Staff)
Pay for Contractor License ONLINE NOW (Contractor license first-time issuance or renewal after test passage)
The Building and Inspection Services Division provides for the enforcement of the City's adopted Building Codes. Division functions include review of building plans and documents, permit issuance, and construction inspections.
Allowable construction hours:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 7pm
Saturday: 8am - 5pm
Sunday: Work not allowed
The City of Evanston has adopted the following 2012 International Code Council Model Codes with the additions, deletions, exceptions, and other amendments set forth in Title 4 of the City Code.
Adopted Building Codes (see the City Code)
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2012 International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings (IRC)
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2011 National Electric Code (NFPA 70)
- 2012 NFPA Life Safety Code 101
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
ICC code books and electronic versions are available for purchase from the International Code Council. The 2012 International Fire Code, NFPA Life Safety Code, and 2011 National Electric Code are all available free online from the National Fire Protection Association. Hard copies of all codes are available for review at the permit desk and the Evanston Public Library.
The City of Evanston also enforces tne following State of Illinois codes. These are available online from the Illinois Capital Development Board:
- Illinois Plumbing Code
- Illinois Accessibility Code
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code (2015 IECC and ASHRAE Standard 90.1 with CDB amendments)
Check with the Illinois EPA for all construction related environmental issues and permits.
Building, Housing & Inspections
Administration and Public Works Committee Meeting
Planning & Development Committee
Board of Ethics - CANCELED
- Newsy Items on Monday City Council Agenda
- Water Supply Agreement with Morton Grove, Niles on January 23 City Council Agenda
- See the Cubs World Series Trophy at the Morton Civic Center January 22
- From the Mayor: Evanston Electoral Board Decisions
- Federal Court Determines Evanston Claims in James Park Case Must Go Forward